Our eyes are one of the first things people notice about us. As we age, the lower eyelids can begin to make us look tired and older than we are. We may see fatty deposits, wrinkles, and excess skin under our eyes that we want to get rid of. Our patients have been helped by getting the eyelid surgery Santa Monica based providers offer.
What Is Lower Eyelid Surgery?
Lower eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is a surgical procedure where the excess skin and fat under the eyes are removed.
The procedure can be performed under local anesthesia instead of general. It takes about an hour. The surgeon will mark the areas to work on while you sit up, so they know what areas to address during surgery. An incision is usually placed below the lash line.
The approach your surgeon takes depends upon your body and what would work best for you. Sometimes, fatty tissue is removed. Other times, the tissue is repositioned to make sure the under eye area doesn’t look hollow.
Your surgeon may want to strengthen the tendons around the lower eyelid. This prevents the eyelid from drooping and gives it a more youthful look. You can surgically remove lower eyelid wrinkles in Santa Monica to take years off your appearance.
What Can This Procedure Treat?
Lower eyelid surgery is used for the following issues:
- Bags under the eyes
- Sagging eyelids
- Wrinkles in the eyelids
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Puffy or fatty under eye areas
- Asymmetrical lower eyelids
This procedure may be an option for you if you have one or more of these issues. A consultation with your surgeon can tell you for sure if it’s for you.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Lower Eyelid Surgery?
To ensure best results for surgery, there are some things a surgeon looks for in a candidate. A successful surgery candidate will:
- Be in good overall health
- Have realistic goals and expectations
- Not have severe eye issues that prevent surgery
- Have one or more of the issues the procedure treats, such as bags and wrinkles
This procedure is often done on an outpatient basis. Your doctor will give you aftercare instructions. Some things to know about recovery include:
- You may need to take time off of work
- You’ll need followup appointments to remove stitches and/or check healing
- You may need to limit strenuous activity for a week
- You may need to wear dark sunglasses or avoid sun exposure to aid healing
- You’ll need ointments/drops to promote healing and prevent infection
Heeding your surgeon’s advice will help reduce complications and healing time.
If you want the best facial plastic surgery Santa Monica has to offer, call Westside Face and book a consultation today.