Who is a Good Candidate for Balloon Sinuplasty?
Sinusitis, an inflammation of a nasal sinus, can often be a difficult infection to treat. Medications for sinusitis can help most people, but what do you do if it isn’t helping?
Balloon sinuplasty is an advanced procedure that helps treat chronic cases of sinusitis. This procedure, also known as angioplasty for the nose, is done by using a small and flexible balloon catheter that will allow built up mucus to be drained after the catheter has opened up the blocked sinus passageways. Balloon sinuplasty is a very safe and effective procedure that causes little pain, less blood loss, minimal swelling and bruising, and has a lower risk of infection. Having a balloon sinuplasty procedure Santa Monica will require less recovery time compared to other common sinus surgeries.
The following factors will determine if you are a candidate for balloon sinuplasty (sinusitis treatment Santa Monica):
• If the medications you have tried didn’t work.
• If you have trouble breathing through your nose.
• If you are having nasal issues that won’t go away.
• If you constantly have a bad taste in your mouth or bad breath.
• If you have chronic headaches right around your eyes.
Advantages of Balloon Sinuplasty:
• The procedure doesn’t require any cutting or stitches, which means less pain, swelling, bruising, bleeding, risk of infection, and recovery time.
• Since no tissue or bone is being removed, there will be less bleeding.
• Recovery won’t require as much time as traditional surgeries because it is a less invasive procedure.
Still unsure about whether or not balloon sinuplasty is the right option for you? Here are a few more facts about this procedure:
• Over 535,000 individuals all across the world have had balloon sinuplasty.
• A study that consisted of 1,036 patients from different clinics concluded that 95% of them had a significant improvement with their symptoms.
• Most patients are able to go back to their typical day-to-day activities within just two days.
• Balloon sinuplasty may be covered by insurance.
• Common symptoms of sinusitis include a blocked or stuffy nose and pain or pressure around the eyes.
• Typically patients undergo general anesthesia, but sometimes patients undergo local anesthesia as well. Your doctor will go over all of your options with you to help you decide what is best for you.
If you want to know more about Santa Monica plastic surgery or are thinking about having the balloon sinuplasty procedure, feel free to contact us today!